Protecting Your Home, Sweet Home

Let’s take a look at a few helpful tips and popular myths for handling home insurance, managing upkeep and more.

Scroll To Continue
Use a lightning protection system.

These systems redirect lightning strikes into the ground instead of through your home’s gas or electrical systems. While costs can range from $100-$3,000, consider the average lightning-related claim is around $28,000.

Consider buying flood insurance separate from your homeowners insurance.

Flood damage isn’t covered on a standard homeowners insurance policy. You can buy a National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) policy through FEMA or an insurance provider who is contracted to sell them.

Renting out your home? You probably don’t have the coverage you need.

Your homeowners policy doesn’t offer financial protection on property and liability losses when you’re using your home as a rental. If you’re listing a property on AirBnB, VRBO or the like, you probably need a business policy or landlord insurance.

Sewer back-up on your property can be a devastating financial burden.

Water (or sewer) backup insurance can help cover the repairs due to a clogged sewer line, backed-up drain or failed sump pump. This type of insurance may also cover mold damage, up to your policy limits.

Add a scheduled personal property endorsement or personal articles floater policy to protect valuable items.

If you need to protect things like jewelry, furs, cameras, firearms or art, this endorsement provides increased coverage for your special items when the standard personal property limits aren’t enough.

True or False?
Cleaning out the lint filter while doing laundry will fully protect your home against a dryer fire.
Sorry, the correct answer is False.

There are quite a few things you can do to decrease the risk of a dryer fire. Make sure to get your dryer vent and hose serviced annually, and check behind your dryer for lint buildup. While you’re getting it serviced, have a professional clean the interior of the dryer, too. Source

Next Question
Termite damage is covered by homeowners insurance.
Sorry, the correct answer is False.

Termite damage is not covered by homeowners insurance. Termites are neither a sudden nor accidental problem, and are seen as something you should prevent. Consider purchasing a termite bond, also known as a termite warranty, through a pest control service. This will give you peace of mind and may even be required by your state. Source

Next Question
If you live in an older home, you could benefit from increased ordinance or law coverage.
Sorry, the correct answer is False.

Ordinance or law insurance helps cover the cost to rebuild older homes up to local building code requirements after damage from a covered loss. If part of your house is destroyed and the city requires it be rebuilt a certain way, additional ordinance and law coverage would help pay to build it up to code, within the limits of the coverage. Source

Next Question
Home Systems Protection is an affordable add-on for your homeowners policy.
Sorry, the correct answer is False.

Home Systems Protection (also known as equipment breakdown coverage) is an affordable add-on for an extra layer of protection. Depending on your state, it can cost less than $75 a year. This coverage offers financial protection for your appliances, — refrigerators, dishwashers, computers, etc. — if they break down due to an electrical or mechanical malfunction, up to your policy limits. Source

Next Question
Specialty equipment, such as an expensive lawn mower, is covered under homeowners insurance.
Sorry, the correct answer is False.

While average lawn mowers are covered within your coverage limits under your personal property coverage, expensive lawn mowers are not. If you own specialty lawn care items, you may want to consider getting an increased equipment endorsement. Source

Next Question
2/5 Answered
So Close!
You got 2 out of 5 correct.

Learn more about home insurance, or contact an Alfa agent to see how we can help.

Try Again